Get The Help You Need

As a college student, addiction doesn’t seem to be a prevalent issue. Substance abuse can be common, but usually gets shrugged off with the excuse that “its just college. Everyone does it.” I know I’ve certainly used that excuse before, and still often do, even after I have had to get professional help for issues that I’ve had with both addiction and substance abuse. Most people, especially males, don’t want to admit that there’s something wrong and that they need help. It’s much easier to keep everything to yourself and act normal. With the guidance and help of my friends and family, I was able to act upon my issues rather than continue to submerge them, which would have only made things worse. Talking to someone about your issues, even if they don’t seem too severe, is really the first step anyone who is struggling should take. Even though it was extremely intimidating to finally talk to someone, it was 100% the right move. I procrastinated quite a while on doing it, but eventually my friend convinced me to based off his prior experiences. I’m writing this to persuade others who may be dealing with similar issues to reach out to someone for guidance and support, even if you think you can handle your problems by yourself. I know I certainly did, but in the end getting help was the best thing I could have done. I still have to work at my issues everyday, and often still struggle with them at times, but knowing that I have people around me that care about me and can help me in times of need makes all the difference in the world. At the end of the day, the person that knows you best is yourself, which is why the decision to talk to someone has to come from within. Whether it’s anxiety, depression, substance abuse, addiction, or any other mental health issue, there’s always someone that you can turn to for help and guidance. It may same like a simple thing, but it really is the first step you can take to improve yourself and feel better on a day-to-day basis.

3 Likes

This is what I’m struggling with the most. I know that I’m fortunate enough to have people who love me, who want me to speak with them openly and describe how I’m feeling… it’s just that I struggle with the courage to admit that I can’t handle this all myself, that no one is strong enough to carry all this weight on one set of shoulders.

Thank you for your encouragement to seek the support that I know is out there for me. Thank you to the Arkive for helping consolidate the resources available to educate us on mental health and for opening the door for these open conversations that are so needed.

1 Like